Skip to content

Home Builders Association of Michigan

Licensing Information

When do i need a license?

General contractors must carry a residential builders license or a maintenance and alterations contractor license if the project they are working on exceeds $600. These licenses both require a 60-hour prelicensure course before applying to take the state licensing exam.

how do i get a license for the first time?

Receiving your Michigan Builders License can be done in three easy steps. Once you complete your required 60-hours of pre-licensure education, you can schedule your exam through LARA.

lara-approved pre-licensure courses